Hopeless Love Bites | Vegan Caramel Bourbon Popcorn
Welcome to our second instalment of Love Bites! It has been a little while since we first introduced this series, but we are so excited to make it a much more regular feature! Because lets be honest, food and underwear are our two of our most favourite things.
Domi created this incredible Popcorn recipe to accompany our Grey Basics editorial, which has been very enthusiastically tested by all the girls in the Hopeless office. We hope you pop this corn in your favourite knickers, and eat it while watching your favourite b-grade horror movies. If you take any photos, please send them to us! And make sure you hashtag #hopelesslingerie and #hopelesslovebites
VEGAN CARAMEL BOURBON POPCORN
8 cups Popped Popcorn (1/3 cup Un-popped)
1 cup Castor Sugar
5 Tablespoons Non Dairy Butter (I used Coconut Oil based Margarine)
1/3 cup Coconut Cream
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
2 tablespoons Bourbon
Some Dark Chocolate for drizzling on top
Any other bits you would like to add in, I included some chopped up Peanuts, but it would work well with Pecans or Walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 120c. Have all your caramel ingredients measured and ready to go, the caramel is pretty easy to make, but you will need to work a little quickly!
2. Place all your sugar in a saucepan on high heat. As soon as you see it start to melt a little, begin stirring making sure its constantly moving around the pan.
3. Once the sugar is completely melted and begins to boil, start to swirl the pan around until it turns an amber caramel colour. Immediately add the butter and whisk until it is completely melted and combined. If it starts to become a bit darker remove the pan from the heat and keep whisking!
4. Remove the pan from the heat, and slowly add the cream and keep whisking to combine. As you add the cream, the caramel is going to bubble up and might splatter a little, so be careful!
5. Once combined sprinkle with the salt and add the bourbon, whisk it all together a little more to combine. Remove the caramel and pop it in a bowl or jar to cool.
6. Spread the popcorn over a large baking tray lined with paper. At this point, you can add any other little bits to the popcorn you would like, I sprinkled over some chopped peanuts.
7. Once the caramel has cooled (it shouldn't be cold, but not hot anymore - you want it still nice and runny) pour it all over the popcorn and stir around the popcorn until it is nice and coated in the gooey caramel.
8. Place the tray of popcorn in the oven to cook for approximately 45 minutes. You will need to move it around a little bit every 10-15 minutes or so to ensure it doesn't burn anywhere. The popcorn will shrink and begin to dry out. It will probably still be a little wet when you remove it, but will dry out completely and crunch up more once it's cooling.
9. Once you have removed the popcorn from the oven, let it cool down to room temperature. It shouldn't take too long because the oven wasn't very hot. Once it's cooled, drizzle a few tablespoons of melted dark chocolate over the top, and pop it in the fridge for a couple of minutes to let it set.
10. It's done! It should be sweet and salty, and nice and crunchy, with a hint of bourbon! Store the popcorn in a airtight container for up to 1 week.